DVM, MS, PhD
- D.V.M., Ankara University, Turkey
- M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ph.D., Purdue University-West Lafayette
- Post-doctoral fellow, Indiana University School of Medicine
Building Address: W191 Vet Med
Phone Number: 884 0311
Research Emphasis: Our research interests are in the fields of cellular, biophysical, molecular and applied aspect of cryobiology and biology of mammalian germplasm (i.e. gametes, embryos, gonads), from particularly scientifically valuable animals. We are also interested in genome resource banking for scientifically important (transgenics, knockouts) animal models for human diseases. We are working on the development of reproductive technologies as they relate to gamete, embryo, and gonadal tissue biotechnologies such as genome cryobanking, human diseases model, and gene transfer in rats. We are using laboratory rats to develop strategies for human reproductive medicine via ovarian tissue cryopreservation and subsequent auto-transplantation for the prevention of infertility and bone loss in women.
Teaching Responsibilities: Laboratory animal reproduction
1. Silverberg GD, Miller MC, Pascale CL, Caralopoulos LN, Agca Y, Agca C, Stopa EG (2015). Kaolin-induced chronic hydrocephalus accelerates amyloid deposition and vascular disease in transgenic rats expressing high levels of human APP. Fluids and Barriers of the Central Nerves System. DOI:10.1186/2045-8118-12-2.
2. Agca C and Agca Y (2014). Molecular and ultrastuctural changes of rat pre-implantation
embryos during two-cell developmental arrest. J Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. DOI 10.1007/s10815-014-0213-4.
3. Uguz C, Varisli O, Agca C, Evans T, and Agca Y (2014).In Vitro effects of Nonylphenol on motility, mitochondrial, acrosomal and chromatin integrity of ram and boar sperm. Andrologia DOI: 10.1111/and.12346.
4. Varisli O, Scott H, Agca C, Agca Y (2013). The effects of cooling rates and type of freezing extenders on cryosurvival of rat sperm. Cryobiology, 67:109-116.
5. Putkhao K, Agca Y, Parnpai R, and Chan AWS (2013). Cryopreservation of transgenic Huntington’s disease rhesus macaque sperm. Cloning and Trangenesis, 2:3. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2168-9849.1000116.
6. Varisli O, Agca C, Agca Y (2013). Short-term storage of rat sperm in the presence of various extenders. J. American Association for Laboratory Animal Science 52:732-737.
7. Kim S, Agca C, Agca Y. (2013). Effects of various physical stress factors on mitochondrial function and reactive oxygen species in rat spermatozoa. Reproduction, Fertility and Development, 25:1051-1064.
8. Cirit U, Bagis H, Demir K, Agca C, Pabuccuoglu S, Varıslı O, Clifford-Rathert C, Agca Y. (2013) Comparison of cryoprotective effects of iodixanol, trehalose and cysteamine on ram semen. Animal Reproduction Science, 139:38-44.
9. Agca C, Yakan A, Agca Y (2013). Estrus synchronization and ovarian hyper-stimulation treatments have negligible effects on cumulus oocyte complex gene expression whereas induction of ovulation causes major expression changes Molecular Reproduction and Development. 80:102-117.
10. Kim S, Agca C, Agca Y. (2012). Changes in rat spermatozoa function after cooling, cryopreservation and centrifugation processes. Cryobiology, 65:215-223.
11. Agca Y. (2012) Genome resource banking of biomedically important laboratory animals Theriogenology, 78:1653-1665.
12. Aksu DA, Agca C, Aksu S, Bagis H, Akkoc T, Caputcu AT, Arat S, Taskin AC, Kizil SH, Karasahin T, Akyol N, Satilmis M, Sagirkaya H, Ustuner B, Nur Z, Agca Y. (2012) Gene expression profiles of vitrified in vitro- and in vivo-derived bovine blastocysts. Molecular Reproduction and Development, 79:613-625.
13. Seye C, Agca Y, Agca C, Derbigny W. (2012). P2Y2 receptor-mediated lymphotoxin-α secretion regulates intercellular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression in vascular smooth muscle cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287:10535-10543.
14. Walters EM, Agca Y, Ganjam V, Evans T. (2011). Animal models got you puzzled?: Think pig. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1245: 63–64.
15. Keskintepe L, Sher G, Adamowicz M, Machnicka A, Tortoriello D, Bayrak A, Agca Y. (2009).Vitrification of human embryos subjected to blastomere biopsy for pre-implantation genetic screening produces higher survival and pregnancy rates than slow freezing. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 26:629–635.
16. Uguz C, Varisli O, Agca C, Agca Y (2009). Effects of nonylphenol on motility and subcellular elements of epididymal rat sperm. Reproductive Toxicology, 28:542-549.
17. Keskintepe L, Agca Y, Sher G, Keskintepe M, Ginsburg MS (2009). High survival rate of metaphase II human oocytes after first polar body biopsy and vitrification: determining the effect of previtrification conditions. Fertility and Sterility, 92:1706-1715.
18. Varisli O, Uguz C, Agca C, Agca Y (2009). Effect of chilling on the motility and acrosomal integrity of rat sperm in the presence of various extenders. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, 48:499-505.
19. Agca C, Lucy M, Agca Y (2009). Gene expression profile of rat ovarian tissue following xenotransplantation into immune-deficient mice. Reproduction, 137: 957-967.
20. Agca C, Seye C, Shivaji , Kashuba BR, Chan A, Weisman G, Agca Y (2009).Development of a novel transgenic rat overexpressing the P2Y2 nucleotide receptor using a lentiviral vector. Journal of Vascular Research, 46:447-458.
21. Varisli O, Uguz C, Agca C, Agca Y (2009). Motility and acrosomal integrity comparisons between electro-ejaculated and epididymal ram sperm after exposure to a range of anisosmotic solutions, cryoprotective agents and low temperatures. Animal Reprod. Science, 110: 256-268.
22. Varisli O, Uguz C, Agca C, Agca Y (2009). Various physical stress factors on rat sperm motility, integrity of acrosome, and plasma membrane. Journal of Andrology, 30:75-86.
23. Sher G, Keskintepe L, Mukaida T, Keskintepe M, Ginsburg M, Agca Y, Maassarani G, Bayrak A (2008). Selective vitrification of euploid oocytes markedly improves survival, fertilization and pregnancy-generating potential. Reproductive BioMedicine Online, 17:524-529.
24. Baska KM, Manandhar G, Feng D, Agca Y, Tengowski M, Sutovsky M, Sutovsky P (2008). Mechanism of extracellular ubiquitination in the mammalian epididymis. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 215:684-696.
25. Agca C, Fritz J, Walker LC, Levey A, Chan A, Lah JJ, Agca Y (2008). Development of transgenic rats producing human β-amyloid precursor protein as a model for Alzheimer's disease: Transgene and endogenous APP genes are regulated tissue-specifically. BMC Neuroscience, 9:28.
26. Van den Abbeel E, Schneider U, Liu J, Agca Y, Critser JK, Van Steirteghem A (2007).Osmotic responses and tolerance limits to changes in external osmolalities, and oolemma permeability characteristics, of human in vitro matured MII oocytes. Human Reproduction, 22:1959-1972.
27. Yang H, Agca Y, Cheng P, Yang J, Agca C, Chan AWS (2007). Enhanced transgenesis by intracytoplasmic injection of bald lentivirus. Genesis 45:177-183.
28. Agca Y, Bauer B, Johnson D, Critser JK, Riley L (2007). Detection of mouse parvovirus in Mus musculus gametes, embryos, and ovarian tissues by polymerase chain reaction assay. Comparative Medicine, 57: 51-56.
29. Seo D, Agca Y, Critser JK, Feng ZC (2007). Development of sorting, aligning, and orienting bull, mouse, and human motile sperm using inexpensive micro-fluidic device operated by hydrostatic pressure. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 3: 561-570.
30. Bryda EC, Pearson M, Agca Y, Bauer B (2006). Method for detection and identification of multiple chromosomal integration sites in transgenic animals created with lentivirus. Biotechniques 41: 715-719.
31. Spindler RE, Crichton B, Agca Y, Loskutoff, Critser JK, Gardner DK, Wildt DE (2006). Improved felid embryo development by group culture is modified but not lost with hetero specific companions. Theriogenology 66:82-92.
32. Men H, Agca Y, Riley L, Critser JK (2006).Improved survival of vitrified porcine embryos after partial delipation through chemically stimulated lipolysis and inhibition of apoptosis Theriogenology, 66: 2008-2016.
33. Men H, Agca Y, Riley L, Critser JK (2006). Improved felid embryo development by group culture is maintained with heterospecific companions (2006). Theriogenology, 66:82-92.
34. Mingxuan F, Agca Y, Critser JK and Feng ZC (2006). Vibration study of the piezo-driven pipettes immersed in viscous liquids. Journal of Applied Physics 100 (7): Art. No. 074701.
35. Men H, Agca Y, Critser ES, Critser JK (2005). Beneficial effects of serum supplementation during in vitro production of porcine embryos on their ability to survive cryopreservation by open pulled straw vitrification. Theriogenology, 64:1340-1349.
36. Men H, Agca Y, Mullen SF, Critser ES, Critser JK (2005). Osmotic tolerance of in vitro produced porcine blastocysts assessed by their morphological integrity and cellular actin filament organization. Cryobiology, 51: 119-129.
37. Agca Y, Mullen SF, Liu J, Johnson-Ward J, Gould K, Chan A, Critser JK (2005). Osmotic tolerance and membrane permeability characteristics of rhesus monkey (Macaca mulatta) spermatozoa. Cryobiology, 51:1-14.
38. Agca Y, Mullen SF, Liu J, Johnson-Ward J, Gould K, Chan A, Critser JK (2005). Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) spermatozoa osmotic tolerance and cryoprotectant permeability characteristics. Journal of Andrology, 26:470-477.
39. Walters EM, Men H, Agca Y, Mullen SF, Critser ES, Critser JK (2005) Osmotic tolerance of mouse spermatozoa from various genetic backgrounds: Acrosome integrity, membrane integrity, and maintenance of motility. Cryobiology, 50: 193-205.
1. Chan AW and Agca Y (2008). Transgenic Animal Models of Neurodegenerative Diseases. Sourcebook of Models for Biomedical Research. In P.M. Conn (Ed.) Humana Press, Pp 323-331.
2. Agca Y and Chan AW (2007). Transgenic Animals, Comparative Reproductive Biology. In Schatten H and Constantinescu GH (Eds):” Iowa State Press, a Blackwell Publishing Company Pp. 133-145.
3. Agca Y and Men H (2007). Gender selection in mammalian semen and pre-implantation embryos. Comparative Reproductive Biology, In Schatten H & Constantinescu GH (Eds): Iowa State Press, a Blackwell Publishing Comp. Pp.147-157.
4. Agca Y and Critser JK (2005). Assisted Reproductive Technologies and Genetic Engineering in Rats. The Laboratory Rats, 2nd edition Suckow MA, Weisbroth SH and Franklin CL, Academic Press pp. 165-190.